Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Friday, January 8, 2021

2021 - The Great UFO Roundup

I am using the Facebook group, American Patchwork & Quilting's UFO Challenge, to motivate my work on UFOs.

You fill in your list with the projects you most want to finish (or move to a new stage) during the year. They draw a number each month, and that's the UFO you focus on for that month.

I've filled in two lists - one is quilt tops that I want to get quilted and fully finished this year. The other is quilt projects that I want to finish the piecing on so that they reach the Flimsy stage.



How I work: 

Monday thru Friday, I restrict myself to the priority projects - 1 piecing, 1 longarming. This year, those will all come from my UFO lists. Typically I'll piece in the early morning and quilt in the afternoons. After dinner we like to watch 1 or 2 shows, and I'll do hand applique work during that time if I don't have a quilt binding to stitch down.

Saturdays, I let myself work on whatever project calls to me, to give myself a break from the priority work so I don't lose my MoJo.

Sundays, I always work on a BOM, which was often worked on the day before.

Thru all of this, I keep a leader-ender project to the side of my machine, so that one just kinda does a low simmer that one day magically appears as a bonus quilt top. 

This approach works extremely well for me.

Number 7 was drawn for January's UFO work.


Longarming List:  (accomplished 2/13 +5 extras  as of  June 30th)

* January!  ~*~ FINISHED  Feb 26! ~*~ 0. Sew Spooky - need to finish this before starting the 2021 number pulls. When will Covid let me begin longarming again?  (Jan 11th, able to sustain 15 minutes in a day. Feb 24 finishished this quilting! Up to 90 minutes three times a day!)  Finish Report Here

  


* May!   ~*~ FINISHED  May 24! ~*~ 1.=9 (switched for deadline) Marissa's UCCS Graduation Quilt

 


* February!  2. My King'd Dinner Plate Dahlia (on the longarm now)



3. Rainbow Jane



4. Set Sail


* June!  5. Plums in November



6. Thistlepods


* January!  7. Modernology 














8. Listen With Your Eyes



9.=1 (needed another when this number was drawn) From the Heart



10. Allietare




* March!  ~*~ Quilted Mar 26! Fancy puffed silk binding is taking a long time ~*~ 11. It's a Silky wool Flannel Kind of Day

 






12. Martha's Christmas Whirl



BACK-SIDE EXTRAS:

1. "Moose Lake" for Scott  ~*~ FINISHED  Mar 23! ~*~   Finish Report Here




2.  Bathroom Curtain 1  ~*~ FINISHED  Mar 18! ~*~ 




















3.  "Morning Stroll" for Scott  ~*~ FINISHED  Mar 28! ~*~ 



4.  Bathroom Curtain 2
  ~*~ FINISHED  June 4! ~*~ 


5.  Marissa's Home Quilt  ~*~ FINISHED  June 30! ~*~  (originally named Journey's End)





~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piecing List:  (accomplished 5/12 +5 extras  as of  July 5th) 


~*~ FLIMSY STATUS Jan 30! ~*~  1. King sized Garden of Dreams - Panels are partially made. (Flimsy finished right away, as I want this on my bed. 

 (I'm king-sizing this Kona pattern. Lots of math involved, since I didn't want to simply add large borders all around.)





* February!  2. Down the Rabbit Hole - Finished the sunflower round, need to do the rabbits border and the outer diamond border

 This one is on my BOM roll, but I wanted to dedicate a month of priority to it as well.


3. Whooo's Your Mama - needs the stitcheries



 * April!   ~*~ FLIMSY STATUS Apr 23! ~*~   4. Collection for a Cause: Heritage- At least some of the patches had been made. 

 
 I think I made the windmills? But maybe just the HSTs. I'll see when I pull out its box.  (Yep, thankfully, all the windmills are already put together.



* June! ~*~ FLIMSY STATUS June 16! ~*~  5. Stepping Stones - blocks are made

This was my first Judy Niemeyer pattern. It quickly got sidetracked by more intricate patterns of hers that called to me. 






6. Amaya - need to do the collage work



* January!  ~*~ FLIMSY STATUS Jan 23! ~*~  7. Let's Build a Snowman - applique has been fused for all the rows, needs stitching and piecing

  










8. Climbing Lanterns - I think it's ready for the 3D pieces to be done up?




* May! ~*~ FLIMSY STATUS July 5! ~*~  9. Chubby Chicks - I think the applique has been fused. Well, main bodies have been, looks like.

 










10. And to All a Good Night - applique panel is started. Will be king-sizing the pattern.

One of the many Sue Garman patterns on my bucket list.


* March!  11. Spanish Tiles - fabrics are boxed together  

 (The original in the quilt pattern book "Living Large")
**I cannot find this!!  Many days of searching have been fruitless, so I'm switching this out with another long-time UFO: Parasol.


12. Fanciful Flight - a kit. fabrics have been washed 



BACK-SIDE EXTRAS: 

~*~ FLIMSY STATUS Jan 3! ~*~  13. Water Reflections

















~*~ FLIMSY STATUS  Jan 29! ~*~  14. Winter Woodland

















~*~ FLIMSY STATUS  Feb 14! ~*~  15. Forever My Valentine

















~*~ FLIMSY STATUS  March 30! ~*~  16. Parasol




~*~ FLIMSY STATUS  April 23! ~*~  17. Wind & Waves (The Lighthouse Quilt)






I actually printed empty lists on the backside of both of mine, for write-ins of extras as they occur, like my BOMs, leader-enders, or left-overs.

I'm currently working on the quilting of my Sew Spooky UFO that I'd loaded up before COVID hit me. I don't want to closet it yet again, so it has to get quilted before my #7 gets loaded for the January UFO call. I'm hoping that happens before January is over, but longhauler issues dictate how long I can work at the longarm each day (or even if I have to take a bye day still).

So!  My 2021 quilting work will be almost completely driven by these goals. Here's to accomplishing a lot of them!



6 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I am very overwhelmed by your UFO list. How do you handle your feelings about setting such lofty goals? I would never be able to accomplish it. But gosh, I admire you for making your list public (for accountability, right?) and setting yourself to the task. I wish you well! And good health for being able to work on all these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list is filled with spectacular quilts. Best of luck on the finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynette, your UFOs take my breath away!!! Each one is more magnificent than the last. I’m DYING to make Down the Rabbit Hole, too, ever since I first saw it. Maybe some day when I get caught up with my own UFOs. Until then, I’ll live that dream vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful ufos - definitely worth the wait and anticipation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your goal setting is as detailed as mine. It always blows me away how much we are alike.
    Your projects are also pretty intense - nearly all of them! I am always dazzled and inspired.
    Listen with your eyes, modernology, thistlepods, Dear Jane, Plums in November, and of course that dinner plate Dahlia are AMAZING each and every one. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.