I did have fun with it. It's not sleeved so Scott can put it up whichever way he likes best. (It's small enough to stick in with two silk pins.) Literally just grabbed green scraps and sewed them together helter-skelter, then added some steampunk propellers on top. I was envisioning a morphed two-way scene - propellers seen from the front, terrain seen from above, so there was the suggestion of 5 older planes flying over fields and woods.
My family saw two different "scenes," both strictly from above. Marissa sees parachutes floating down in formation, and Scott sees a USO-style fair out in the fields with patriotic tents. It rather tickles my fancy that this little throw-together so successfully provides interest.
I quilted each field area differently, for different crops/terrain. That part up there with a daisy print is supposed to be a hill rising away from a field, but I need to gain map-lining skills, I see (or whatever you want to call those elevation marks)! And do you know how hard it is to purposefully make wonky pebble quilting for tree-tops?
I didn't do anything fancy for the back - just grabbed a piece of white polyester broadcloth lurking in the corner of my storage room.
I also just grabbed an old scrap of polyester batting. And man, does it do a terrific job of making the propellers pop against the denser quilting. No trapunto in there, just batting effect. I ran three "scribble" fmq lines around each propeller in gray thread taking up maybe 1/8 inch. Really helped pop them out.
This shot just in via email - This is the orientation that floats his boat. ;D
"Flight Commander" is about 24 x 25", and while I sometimes wish I'd tweaked the "ground" piecing a little better, I'm really happy with how this turned out. And REALLY happy that Scott and his NCO can have a little perkiness in their office!
TGIFF is at Missy Mac's this week