Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Monday, April 9, 2018

BOMs Away - A Little Wind, a Gaggle of Balloons, a Tiny Bite

My Elm Street Quilts Postchard Exchange Hop Post preceeds this one, HERE.




Welcome to the link-up for BOMs Away Mondays!
Where we share what we're doing on a BOM-type project 
so they don't stall out in UFO-land!
(Linky at the bottom.)






My BOM time was mostly spent helping Heather with the project below this, but I did manage to trace, fuse, and cut out all the non-kitten pieces for the left half of the lower row for Wind in the Whiskers. Just one more block to make pieces for, then I can get this BOM top fully assembled!

























These 25 kaleidoscope blocks took up most of the time, though. We're making a baby quilt together for her preceptor. I had a few yards of hot air balloon fabric, so we thought we'd use this technique to make some blocks that should look like hot air balloons from the top. We couldn't find a background piece we liked in my stash, so I'll go shopping with these after the repair person comes and goes today, and the backing will be the fabric these were cut from. 



Don't they look great?! When I was cutting the wedges out, I remember thinking the fabric didn't seem to yield as much variety as it would be nice to see. But once you start sewing them, the differences really stand out! We'll only use part of these, so there will be others for fun in the future.

On the hand stitching front, I'm almost finished with the applique on the first nutcracker. He should be ready for a share next week. But first I need to make the teeth units. I made some units of lines I could print out and start the process of paper piecing strips that can be sliced and supplemented to get the 12 units for the whole set. I don't want to fuss with all this more than once. Each tooth is almost 1/8 inch, or about 1.5 mm. Except for the outer ones, I'm working with 1/2" strips. Yes, it's a little tricky.



How is BOM work going at your place?

~*~*~
Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts has joined me in hosting this meet-up,
and linking up from either end puts you on the party at both sides.


5 comments:

  1. Those ballon blocks will be gorgeous! Can't wait to see what background you find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will be perfect for hot air balloons! The colors are fantastic and perfect! I love stack and wack quilts. The one I am basting now is done that way but it is done with 60 degree triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I don’t think I’ve ever seen kaleidoscope blocks made up in kiddie fabrics before. I LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous blocks, can't wait to see them in a quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.