Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

BOMs Away Late Edition - Finish Report - Heather's Hot Air Balloon Baby Quilt


Welcome to the link-up for BOMs Away Mondays!
Where we share what we're doing on a BOM-type project 
so they don't stall out in UFO-land!
(Linky at the bottom.)


I apologize for being so late with this week's link-up! Taxes. Big changes in the nature of our personal income last year, as well as a new business. Need I say more?

I didn't do any BOM work last weekend, either, as I was helping my daughter finish the baby quilt she was making. Zipped Dolly's quilt off the frame Saturday and got Heather going with her first longarm job. She's fearless, so I knew she'd be pretty much fine.


And she was. This finished at 38 x 50 inches. She liked the idea of doing the kaleidoscope blocks to evoke the hot air balloons that visit our area in the springtime and go with the fabric they were cut from.

It even has a minky background for the blocks, but that didn't deter her! It was chosen to make a sky-like field around the blocks and to tone the brightness down a wee bit for the baby. Plus be super awesome for tactile interest. We have extra kaleidoscope blocks that we'll put with a different background to let them pop. Sometime in the future.  :)


Heather stitched-in-the-ditch around each kaleidoscope "balloon" before adding a couple free-hand circles inside each one.

Then she wanted meandering zig-zags between the rows and clouds in the spaces of the 3-block rows.


Backing was the fabric the blocks were cut from, supplemented with minky.


We did a flanged binging using both fabrics, with the minky on the outside. When I do a minky binding, I just cut each fabric 1/8 inch wider than I normally do. Works like a charm to accomodate the plushness.


And it's in the hands of the new mama, Heather's preceptor, with lots of repeated "I want one, too!" from the coworkers.  :)

I'll be linking:
Whoop! Whoop! at Sarah's 
TGIFF Thank Goodness It's Finished Fridays at Izzy's this week

Let's Bee Social at Lorna's
WIP Link-Up at Brook's
Free Motion Mavericks at Muv's


How is BOM work going at your place?

~*~*~
Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts has joined me in hosting this meet-up,
and linking up from either end puts you on the party at both sides.

8 comments:

  1. wow, wow, wow!!
    so so impressive!
    no wonder why others wanted one!

    thanks so much for linking up!
    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is adorable!!! It will be well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great baby quilt! Love the minky block backgrounds...I've never seen that done before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure turned out cute. The minky looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to use Minkee for backings in baby quilts and actually made one entire quilt of Minkee [ http://ros-the-quilter.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-mnikee-giraffe-quilt.html] but I have never mixed it with cotton fabric. Was that a challenge to sew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! She is brave. I love minky but don't care to work with it at all. Stretchy fabric kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Love those balloons!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.