Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Saturday, July 31, 2021

A Good Amount of Work on one UFO

 Hi!

This is one of those once-in-a-great-while posts about my non-BOM work.  :)

I was excited yesterday to assess how much work I accomplished through July on a UFO kit that I'd listed for attention this year.

July's draw from my piecing UFOs list was my "Fanciful Flight" kit - a Jacqueline De Jong quilt. If you're familiar with her works, you know they are bright and gorgeous, and very demanding (though every bit worth the effort)!

My kit was untouched beyond having the fabrics prewashed and ironed. I hoped to make the 36 rainbow flying geese arcs before I ran out of month.


I did get all those arcs all finished - not a short task at all, since they have very different color arrangements among them:

But even more happened!

All the remaining paper pieced components are finished! 


8 pieces each for the 9 small black stars; 8 each for the 4 large white stars; 36 melon pieces. You can judge their sizes next to the pattern there - which is printed on standard 8.5 x 11 inch paper.

I also cut out all the filler pieces, border strips, cornerstones, and binding strips.



And now it's all safely boxed together until its next turn for attention. I hope to hit it again before 2021 is finished, but I have the monthly UFO projects that will arise, and my belabored Down the Rabbit Hole (drawn early this year and still not a flimsy) gets first dibs at any monthly left-over times that may arise. So if I can't assemble this by New Year's, it'll go onto my 2022 UFO list. A whole month of 3-4 hours every week day is as much attention as my spirits can handle on a given project before the MOJO starts slipping away. 

So, I rotate to another, which for August will be my "And to All a Good Night" (Sue Garman) project. Another one with tons of work awaiting. Like July, this one only has a pile of prewashed fabrics awaiting the rotary cutter. I want to get all the blocks made for the king-size alteration I've made of the pattern, and finish the hand applique of the top pictorial panel.



This is for our bed, in a blue room that gets a snow-flecked Christmas tree with blue accents. So I'll be incorporating blue and gray Christmas fabrics instead of focusing on the greens and tans. Hopefully it'll come out the way my mind's eye sees it!

Linking to Wendy's Peacock Party





3 comments:

  1. WOW! Those arcs are beautiful! I can't wait to see what the flimsy looks like. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - curved geese. Those are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful job you did on working through that project and now back to your regularly scheduled UFOs. :o))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.