Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Saturday, April 24, 2021

~ Flimsy Alert! ~ Wind & Waves (the lighthouse quilt)

 Woohoo  :)  Another flimsy, already!  One more for the UFO score.  :)

48 x 53 inches, a Douglas Laird design for the collection "A World of Possibilities"

2021 UFO Score:
3 UFO quilts completely finished
1 curtain finished and installed
8 quilt projects shot down to flimsy status

This was a kit I'd bought prior to moving here in Jun 2012. In 2017, I washed fabrics and cut everything out, as a breather between main projects. This week, I pulled it out as a palette cleanser, so to speak, before I shift from that big Heritage quilt top to the next stretch of longarm work. I have one pantograph quilt that should be easy, then two full-custom tops that will take a lot of attention and energy.

I really like it. It did its cleansing job to give my brain a break - apparently a little too well, at that!  I made mistake after mistake after mistake. So what should have taken an afternoon to throw together took 2 days and a lot of Jack time, as well as a good bit of re-cutting. Good thing I had enough fabric left over for the three that I had to recut!

I could call it COVID brain, but I really think I was just off my game between intense projects.  :)

I made the binding -


But I didn't make the backing yet. Once this was all together, I realized it would be PERFECT to use a nice soft 21-wale corduroy for the backing. So I've got some of that in navy on order, and I've released the original fabric intended for the backing into my stash. (It's the same as the binding fabric, so it'll be fantastic for anything needing a navy blender.)  I was super good and refrained from buying anything else, even the latest Edyta Sitar bundle . . . even to get free shipping. . .  I have a ton of UFOs to shop amongst when I need something "new" to look at! 

Linking up at 

6 comments:

  1. What a cool panel kit -- I can see why it appealed to you! And yes, that happens to me when I try to knock out something "quick and easy" as a palette cleanser project, too. It's like my brain is insulted by the lack of challenge, so it walks out on the job altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEW sorry that you and Jack got reacquainted during the making of this spectacular quilt top. Fortunately, you had extra fabric to replace the mis-cuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really interesting panel quilt. I quite like how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very pretty flimsy I've noticed too when I want a 'quick, easy' project, how often it ends up taking longer and I keep making cutting mistakes. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lighthouse quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm hoping you see this question and can reply here on your comments page. I have the quilt panel you used in your project as well as several coordinates from the "Wind and Waves" fabric collection by Douglas Laird for Wilmington Prints, but I am unable to find the small stones patterned fabric that you've used in your project. I know these are fabrics that are no longer in print, but wondered if you might have a name or number for that particular fabric as it is not part of the Wind and Waves collection shown on Wilmington Prints website. I'm hoping to find it online somewhere. Thanks in advance for your help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.