Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, February 25, 2018

BOMs Away - "Forever My Valentine" & Blue Bear


Welcome to the link-up for BOMs Away Mondays!
Where we share what we're doing on a BOM-type project 
so they don't stall out in UFO-land!
(Linky at the bottom.)


Here's my block 1 of "Forever My Valentine", which arrived a couple of days ago - all stitched up, even. I am determined to keep this BOM quickly assembled. 



Apparently 2018 is the Year of the Pre-Fused Kits. I really wanted to do this BOM, but although I really don't prefer pre-fused kits (for several reasons), that is the route I chose so that I'd actually be able to do this. It cuts the time down tremendously. 

I'm using blanket stitching on this one, and doing that with 40wt threads. I know most people prefer the ease of invisible thread, but I didn't choose it for 3 reasons. 1) My machine is extremely fitful when I make it work with it. 2) I really don't like the way the holes look in fused pieces - colored threads fill the holes, but invisible thread lets them keep showing. 3) This is a flannel project, and the edges of most pieces are white. Colored thread greatly minimizes the white rims around them, so that only the tiniest bit still peeks out instead of remaining highly visible. The edge of white on the red was particularly noticeable against the underlying pink before I stitched it:



The blocks for this quilt will have 3D wool flowers and pearl beads added after the quilting has been done.

One of the reasons I don't like pre-fused projects is that the fusible spans the entire fabric piece, instead of being "gutted" on larger pieces. This not only adds the layers of fusible where you have many stacked pieces, but also prevents you from cutting the background away. There are 8 layers in some places, (which would actually be 16 with the fusible, thin as that is). 

So before I fused this block, I laid the largest pieces down and traced their outlines with chalk so I could cut away the underneath layers, using a 3/8 inch margin. That gave me these large pieces that I can do something with in the future:



That's 2 layers of flannel and 2 of plastic that are kept out of the block. HOWEVER, if you do this, you need to be aware that the fusible will be exposed on the back. Here you see the open space where the black and pale pink were cut away before assembling, and the shiny surface of fusible covering the entire back of the red spotted heart that I'm about to put in place:



You really have to ***make sure*** you lay that applique ironing sheet under the block at the ironing board so the exposed fusible sticks to the peelable sheet, not to your board!


Just let it cool a bit and peel off.
~*~*~*~

I also put together my February blue bear for Dione's 2018 Beary Colorful BOM. He's the bear of high hopes:



This project is being done applique-as-you-quilt style, so this is just fused, not stitched yet. I'm taking a breather for Feb and not doing as much as last month. I hope to do the stitching/quilting for this at the same time I do the March bear. 

~*~ Linking my blue bear up at Jen's February Color Linkup


How about you? Did you get any BOM work done recently?


~*~*~
Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts has joined me in hosting this meet-up,
and linking up from either end puts you on the party at both sides.


7 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard of a pre-fused kit! It’s kind of cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is smart of you to do a prefused kit if you are trying to get more done. It will be gorgeous even though it is bulkier than you prefer. I would NEVER use invisible thread blanket stitch applique' either. To me, blanket stitch applique should be decorative and outline the applique' pieces. I only use invisible thread rarely for turned under applique' that I don't have time to hand stitch. Honestly, I LOVE to do the handstitched applique' once I have already preturned the edges with an iron and glued the peices down. It is relaxing to me.

    Your new project is going to be SO GORGEOUS! Your blue bear is also darling!

    Thanks again for your linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful heart block. I have always wanted to try one of those prefused applique ever since Edyta Sitar came out with her precut applique pieces. However, a part of me refused to try it because I think it may take away the challenge and fun - yeah right, says another part of me - like I have all the time to cut myself one by one. Even if I do, I won't be as productive or probably never even start one applique project! So, someday, I might just try it and see how I like it. Thanks for the linky party. I am joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Valentines quilt is cute. Flannel, though - interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! I'm closely following a few applique BOM QAls, but have yet to start. I feel like I have much to learn. Just reading this showed me a few things I was clueless about. Bloggers often think they're preaching to the choir about their process, but newbies really garner a lot of information. I truly appreciate it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of pre-fused either. I hear what you say about the layers, flannel is rather thick. Like you I would always use blanket stitch with normal coloured thread, it's decorative and adds to the charm. Your blue bear is very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.