Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Monday, October 5, 2020

BOMs Away - Goodbye, Mom Caulkins

 


Welcome to the link-up for BOMs Away Mondays!
Where we share what we're doing on a BOM-type project 
so they don't stall out in UFO-land!
(Linky at the bottom.)

Well, in the very wee hours yesterday, we lost Scott's mother. 


While Mom has been experiencing strange difficulties for most of this crazy year, she found out only five or six weeks ago that she had metastasized lung cancer. We were able to travel to her state twice during that time to visit - the first time while she was still lucid and mobile and enjoying company, and this past weekend, where we were able to be there with Dad and Karen for her final days and passing. 

This is my all-time favorite photo of her, at their wedding in 1958:




I have to say again how very, very amazing Scott's sister, Karen, has been. 



She gave up her job and her personal life to move in with their parents so that Norma could stay in her own home until the end. Karen cared for her ceaselessly, using her home health care training to provide physical and nursing care as the needs arose. It was an absolutely priceless gift, one that went beyond anything Karen could have been expected to do, one that came at great emotional cost and had to have been taxing, as she could only extremely rarely leave the house for any kind of break. She is an amazing woman that I am glad to be related to.

The only BOM work I did this past week was some stitching on the current Octopuses Garden block in my hand applique tote, while I was sitting with Norma Saturday morning. In a desire for her mind to have some indication that she was not alone, I just babbled aloud for a while about what I was stitching - "now I'm going to start on this yellow blob on the right hand trigger fish, mom. It's not as tricky as that black tail piece was!"  Kinda funny - inane conversation, but the important thing to me was to make my presence known and keep company with an unconscious patient. I can't help but feel a connection can be "felt" at some very basic level that is meaningful to a departing person. I hope so, anyway.

And I hope you're in the midst of better times than we are right now. 


~*~*~

Did you do any BOM work lately?

Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts has joined me in hosting this meet-up, 
and linking up from either end puts you on the party at both sides.



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. I’m so sorry for your loss. My own mother passed away in 1997, and while the pain of losing her has faded, I still miss her and wish I could talk with her one more time. I hope that the passage of time will bring you peace with your memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss Lyn. Working on your Octopuses Garden block during her last moments will have created long term memories/associations with this quilt... very special. What a trooper your SIL is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathies for your loss. What a remarkable sister-in-law you have! She's a blessing to everyone in your family, and will surely be most affected by your mother-in-law's death. Karen's life won't be the same. Praying for your peace, and graceful ease into grief and acceptance. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss... it must be a very hard time for you, and what an amazing gift your Karen gave your family.. sending hugs and prayers your way xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that you could go see her twice and have some closure. Karen really sounds amazing too. When we look for them, we can see angels in our lives and in the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.