Yay - A finish I can share! This one is an old UFO, too, so that's a bonus. :D
This is one of my top two favorites in the McKenna Ryan "Sea Breeze" set. Aren't these two engaging?
I'm super happy with how the dimensionality played out for this one. In my hurry to get it finished up, I started right in on the trapunto work simultaneously with the initial applique stitching, using a layer of poly batt as I always do for the feature pieces on these minis. Well, there's so much stitching work on the shell pieces that it flattened the shells out much more than the other body parts. So I added another layer of batting (but this time a tamer scrap of cotton) to re-trapunto the shells as wholes, and it worked perfectly. Maybe you can see the terrific shaping from this angle and with some contrast play:
While I use the poly batting for the trapunto work, I layer the prepped top on the cotton/poly batting I prefer for regular quilting work.
And look! Back in 2008 (or something like that) when I bought this kit, I did not choose to get the beading packets for it. I didn't think I'd want them. Well, I found somebody selling theirs off on my old guild's sale page. So I was happy to start adding that element with this mini. I plan on catching up the prior 6 minis by the time I pull out "The Doodles" for next month's UFO finish.
This is one of my Q4 Finish Along pieces (My goal post link)
Linking up at: