Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, March 8, 2020

BOMs Away - Flimsy Alert ~ Dahlia's Blooming!


Welcome to the link-up for BOMs Away Mondays!
Where we share what we're doing on a BOM-type project 
so they don't stall out in UFO-land!
(Linky at the bottom.)

Woohoo!! The fourth Dinner Plate Dahlia top is finished!

It's a good thing I left the king-sized one last to do in the set of 4. This one was so big, I wouldn't have made the others if it had been ahead in the queue.  :)

Dinner Plate Dahlia, a Judy Niemeyer pattern (queen size turned into king).
This is 116 x 108

There isn't a king size pattern for this one, so I spent a lot of time taping extra paper to the edges of the side pieces and oh-so-carefully extending the rays - and extending those curved seams coming off the arches in the center of each side gave me a LOT of worries about them matching up correctly. I procrastinated doing that seam for two solid weeks, because I had nightmare visions of them being off and puckering or bowling up - and then having to rework some replacement pattern pieces and hope to high heaven I had enough of the fabric left to cut new pieces. . . A lot can go wrong in 13 inches of curve! But when I finally sucked it up and stitched them, gave them a gentle press. . . voila! I lucked out big time, and they lay there flat as could be, with no puckering.


I'm really happy with how perfectly both situations turned out.


My corners were a little weird while I was working - you can see how the central diagonal seam is off-set from the quilt's outer corner. I shifted the outer border into a rectangle instead of a square when I extended the papers, because I wish the 114" square quilt we have on our bed right now wasn't so long at the foot. Had to be meticulous in making sure I was extending the correct side pieces in the longer- and super-longer lengths. But they worked out perfectly in the end. 

This is going to be one ginormous quilting job!  First, though, I have to quilt Heather's for her. Thank goodness that's not this huge!  ;D

~*~*~


We would love to see any BOM work you're done lately.

Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts has joined me in hosting this meet-up, 
and linking up from either end puts you on the party at both sides.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

5 comments:

  1. Dahlia is beautiful! You've done an excellent job in piecing. You'll smile every time you go to bed with this quilt on your bed. She's so lovely. Can't wait to see how you quilt her and your daughter's quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Just beautiful! Love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your quilt is gorgeous! Lovely angles, points, everything is perfect, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dinner Plate Dahlia is magnificent, and I love your solution for upsizing it to a King.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.