Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Friday, February 15, 2013

Finish Friday - Wheelchair Quilt 2

The finish I have today is not the one I thought I'd have for this week, but it's nice because it clears away a UFO that's been sitting in the flimsy list since 2011.




This is a wheelchair quilt. The corners are gone so that they don't flap into the wheel/foot brace areas. See how nice that is for a wheelchair situation?




My old Florida guild makes these for a couple of centers. We'd get fabric packs at the meetings cobbled together from donations, and volunteers would take them home to sew them up. You could bring back the flimsy with the backing for someone else to finish, or just do the whole thing yourself. I liked doing the whole thing since they're small (and quick to quilt), and they provide a great opportunity to increase your FMQ skills. 




This time I worked on a motif that Wendy Sheppard shared at Ivory Spring. I want to use it on the blue bands in Run, Kitty, Run, which I need ASAP. But I needed to try it out first, and this floral flimsy was the perfect place to use it, with maximum hiding power (at least on the top). Love this quilting motif! It's so forgiving while still looking more sophisticated, in the feather family. And still looks terrific when I end up turning her feather plumes into floral plumes. 




I did have a few spots where I let in too much gap, so I just threw in a pebble where the over-puffiness was unsightly.  Worked perfectly. 



Thanks for that tutorial, Wendy.  :D



~*~*~*~*~

TGIFF
*
Link A Finish Friday at Richard's
*
Whoop! Whoop!
*
UFO Sunday
*




23 comments:

  1. Great idea for a wheelchair-friendly quilt. Beautiful quilting, and thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great FMQ pattern. Are you using a long arm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful colours, bright but peaceful too. The quilting is wonderful, it's a quilted garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially love the lone pebble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work!!!! That doesn't look like practice work to me at all!! Happy Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a very pretty finish. it will be very nice for someone in a wheel chair. nice and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really good. Quit being SO hard on yourself. Every stitch we are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right, what a great way to practice your skills. Never thought about the corners and a wheelchair... I will remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great project - and you're right - the perfect way to work on your FMQ skills. You will make someone very happy with this one - it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great way to practice something. You end up with a useful finished project, and someone got a wonderful gift out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever design those wheelchair quilts are. Your quilting is superb! I love reading Wendy's blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilt and quilting. What are the dimentions on the quilt? I have a couple of friends in wheelchairs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the overall pattern. Wheelchair quilt...good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not seen this type of wheelchair throw before. It is a great idea. I just might make up several of these and donate them to the cancer center for the patients who are so ill they are wheelchair bound. I love your quilting motif too. It is so soft and feminine but it could also be changed enough to give it a more masculine feel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! I never thought of a wheelchair quilt but that is a great idea! Your quilting quild should check out Connecting threads fabric donations. They will send a box of scraps and leftovers for the cost of shipping, just for none-profits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great philanthropy project - Please give the dimensions :) Maybe my guild or friendship group would like to make some - there are bound to be a local group that will accept them. And your quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea. Small projects are just what I need to practise my FMQ. Our teacher has asked us to make Blankets of Love next week (for babies born asleep) so that will give me some quilting practice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My guild is going to make wheelchair quilts for a local long term care home. I like the idea of the bottom being angled. Is there a pattern or some numbers as to where to start the angle?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.