Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, October 27, 2013

BOMs Away - Oct 28 - Hello, Moon; Ruffled Roses & a Tip for Applique Panel Trimming

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEib6FEw-InTZOIaLrsh7raXFspj2e1T12kCO8l-1fE90gdy6n4l1MW2uvunLaRnasRzTevZmJGQUxFSneppP1tAy6D3038PFUnZoe3kZkA6pv4O9beBUFKk-l_8VIx2zK7QOjm3Pv7Ki7I/s1600/BOM+Button.jpg


Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!
We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of this post.
 
 
I just finished trimming the latest Hello, Moon blocks. There were 2 this time around since April Mae caught us up to October. I love this BOM and appreciate her graciousness in sharing it for free.  :D
 

 
 
 
 
I also managed to keep my Ruffled Roses up-to-date with my goal for this month since I moved it into my evening sewing slot the past week. I finished all the hand quilting I'd hoped to accomplish for Kelly's quilt this month, and a cut on my finger was making it painful to keep quilting past that point. Worked out fine this way, because I'm out of October Sundays!  ;D
 
The last side border piece and 3 of the cornerstones:
 
 
 
 
 
Here's a tip for trimming applique panels:
 
These cornerstone backgrounds were originally cut about 1 inch too large to allow for any shrinkage during the stitching process. Once they were finished and pressed well, I wasn't sure how to make sure I cut them exactly as they were supposed to be - until I remembered this tip that I think I saw at Erin's blog once. 
 
I lined two sides of my square ruler up on the pattern and traced the outlines with a dry-erase marker right onto my ruler.
 

 
Then all I needed to do was lay the outlines down on the block, and voila! Perfect alignment to do the trimming.  I'm a happy woman.  ;D
 
 
 
 
And erasing the marks on the ruler is easy - just grab some quilting shrapnel and wipe it off!  (But I'm saving this until I finished the last one.)
 
 
 
 
 
So, what BOM work have you been able to get finished lately?
 
 
~*~*~*~*~
 Any projects broken into weekly or monthly units are welcome in addition to true BOMs.   Share your eye candy and show off your progress since the last time you linked up! There are some wonderful monthly and weekly projects going on out there.
 

7 comments:

  1. Love Hello Moon and your applique flowers. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowzers! your rose appliqué blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello MOon is looking good! I choose my fabrics, and there they've sat for two days at the coffee table, waiting for my next TV time... Hopefully I can link em up next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are so cute. I need to get going on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the applique trim tip! Love all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip fror trimming applique work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever tip, Lyn! You have the best ideas... and another great use for dry erase markers. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.