Putting in some great time on "Run, Kitty, Run!" This one's going to be a real fun mix of classic and whimsy. I finished all the feathers a few days ago and have been working on the shoe prints. One day I'll write a finish post and you'll understand how it all comes together.
I have 14 prints to stitch in, and they're pretty darned intricate. It takes way too long to trace out for marking them by pen. I considered making a stencil and chalking them on, but there's so much handling that I was sure the chalk would be rubbed off by the time I was halfway through the various treads. So I decided to go with the Golden Threads technique.
After printing out the scan of the shoe bottom, I traced the outlines with a sharpie. . .
. . . so that I could flip it over and retrace them on the clean side. After cutting the shoe out, I sadly noted that it was just a bit too big at life size to fit aesthetically in my white bands. So I reduced it to 90%.
I cut out 14 pieces of Golden Threads paper, layered them and stapled them carefully at the corners, and then lightly glue-sticked the prepped shoe print on top.
I stitched through the entire layer with a threadless machine (no problem at all with that many in the stack - the paper is somewhere between the consistency of gift tissue and waxed paper).
And then I had 14 stencils ready to be pinned onto the quilt. . .
. . . and stitched over.
Sometimes little details get very important to me - like not having tons of travel-lines from stitching these out continuously. The prints are already so busy, I didn't want travel lines messing with the clarity of the image. Sooooo. . . I stop and start with each element of the print. And I also have never been able to do any machine-knotting, back-stitching, or tiny-stitching that has been neat enough and durable enough for my satisfaction, which means. . .
. . . with each shoe print, I have 58 pairs of thread tails to knot and tuck. Times 14. That's 812 pairs altogether. Maybe I didn't want to know that~!
I have 5 prints finished.
Hand Stitching Station:
Wow! Now that we're back to our normal schedule and actually watching a show after dinner each evening, I'm really making good headway on the binding for the second Dragonfly Party quilt! This is the one quilted by Judi of Green Fairy, and I only have 1/8th left to go!! Photo Op coming soon - woohoo~!!!
This station has like zero priority right now, but quilting in those shoe prints gets super intense, so every now and then I just need a break. I worked up a plan for the owl fabric Devon gave me after totally destroying my stash room (still haven't fixed it), and have been slowly making bits of headway on that flimsy.
I wanted those rounded corners, but they're too small to fuss with by piecing, so I just do these by machine applique. I press under the edges, glue it down on the next layer with a washable school glue stick, and stitch it with a tiny button-hole stitch. Then I trim out the back to keep a nice drape. Now I'm gluing the blocks onto the center field. It's a fun project in a completely new colorway, and that's quite refreshing!
Linking up at