Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, May 19, 2019

BOMs Away - Label Time



Welcome to the link-up for BOMs Away Mondays!
Where we share what we're doing on a BOM-type project 
so they don't stall out in UFO-land!
(Linky at the bottom.)

I love having good labels on my quilts, but I'm not so great at making them promptly. . . 

So I spent this week's BOM time catching four of them up, since I need to take Ruffled Roses over to Scott's mom tomorrow.


I like having a lot of information on my labels - quilt's name, date(s) and places(s) of working on it, name of designer if I didn't make it up myself, the person it's intended for, etc. I also really love to applique elements from the front on it, and/or doing backing or framing with scraps from the quilt's construction.


Sure, a thief could rip off the label, but they'd find that I also perma-ink my name and construction dates right onto the quilt underneath it. Plus, I document my quilts a lot, so I can always prove ownership (or fraud, if someone entered my quilt in a show as their own).


One of the labels did double duty as a patch over a couple of rips. I love the way it turned out, looking like it's in a school of fish with the quilted fish showing on the back.


This quilt was finished a good 18 months ago, must be, but I'm that lazy with label making if it's not being gifted right away. I'm super happy those rips happened on one of our family's quilts, and not a customer quilt. 


I had just bought a new power protection box for my longarm, and this quilt was on the frame when I first used it. The first time I turned it on, then turned on my longarm, the machine FREAKED out and super-blitzed a bunch of spastic stitching, which ended up breaking the needle and punching through the quilt. (Now I know I have to let the box power up a good 6-8 seconds before turning the machine on.) 

The back got the worst of it, by far. This label solves the issue of covering the messy darning stitches. On the front, I'm about to sit down and broidery perse a little 1" fishy from one of the prints used in the quilt top over the single hole on that side.


. . . And there it is - cutely mended in a way that fits right in.  :)



:)


~*~*~

Did you get any BOM work finished lately?

Kate over at Katie Mae Quilts has joined me in hosting this meet-up, 


and linking up from either end puts you on the party at both sides.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

4 comments:

  1. I love your labels! That's unusual to add so much informations, and I think this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been so alarming when your machine freaked out like that! Your fishy label is a clever way to cover the damage. All your labels are so well done and really enhance the finished quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your productivity astounds me; and your creativity blows me away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you include so much info on your quilt labels! The post I linked up is on a similar topic. :) MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.