Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, February 23, 2014

BOMs Away Monday - Holiday Tidings



Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!

We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of the post.


It's Holiday Tidings week for BOMs at my place.
 
 
I sewed the November pieces:
(That's 2000, not 2013 - one of my oldest UFOs here!)
 

 
 
Put them in their rows:
(which are not all crooked like they appear below)
 
 
 
 
Fused the bow - I think it was Barbara that I picked this technique up from ages ago. Cut out the guts of your fusible stuff before you attach it to the fabric. Accomplishes two things: Save fusing material by tracing smaller pieces inside the larger ones; Get a much nicer drape for your quilt - it won't be all nasty-stiff, especially if you have multiple layers.
 
 
 
 
And I even blanket-stitched it all:
 
 
 
 
Although, I was fed up with it long before I finished.  My poor machine kept having fits with skipped stitches any time we had to pass near a thick convergence of seams in the patchwork. So I'll clean the thread ends up some other time during a fun after-dinner show. 
 
It brought to mind that jean-a-ma-jig tool thing I've seen advertised in quilting catalogs.
 
Have any of you tried one? Do they really work, or are they not worth the fuss?
 
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
So how about you? Have you done any work on your BOM or other interval work lately?

 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. No wonder it's one of the oldest, that looks like a lot of work, but wonderful. I'm interested in hearing about the thing a ma jig too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all of those lovely HST's. Beautiful colors, too. I have boxes that probably have UFO's from almost that long ago, although I did a lot of de-stashing with the move to Arizona. I'm almost afraid to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you tackling a UFO! Looks festive:-)
    I had not heard of it, so I just read the gadget reviews on Amazon. The ones I read were written by those who used it for it's purpose; jeans, and most gave it 5stars. Seams like a nuisance, but it may be a lifesaver now and again,.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, it's Christmas! :) Thanks for the tip on the applique - I'm about to do some bigger than the letters I did in the fall, so I will be sure to trim out the middle. I want the baby quilt to be snuggly, not stiff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey someone actually has a UFO older than mine only because I didn't start quilt until sometime after 2001. I loved your post especially the part about cutting the guts out....giggle. My concentration while reading or doing anything is not good so I got to the part about cutting the guts out before my brain realized what you were talking about. Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girls, you don't know what old UFOs are! I seem to have some for every year of the 90s plus those of the 00s - LOL. Nice work as usual, Lyn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so good to see all the great stuff you're making, Lyn! Still full of talent and energy, I see! I haven't used a jean-a-ma-jig, so can't tell you if it works. But I would invite you to see the domestic machine quilting rulers I've found! Please visit my blog and enter my giveaway. I think these rulers would be right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing Christmas projects early in the year! Is this a Pam Bono design? Her designs are very work-intensive! Looks like you are on a roll toward finishing this one for Christmas 2014 :*D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those red ribbons - it will be beautiful when it's all sewn together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.