Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Thursday, January 21, 2021

My First Word-of-the-Year: Temperature

Right at the beginning of the month, I discovered the world of temperature quilts, and really wanted to do one of those this year. So I got started, using the classic big dot of the day's high temp on a square of the low temp.

And then, yesterday this happened:



And this:




And this:

Of course Lady Gaga wore something over the top -
I *loved* the way she channeled a Betsy Ross imagery and wore the dove calling for peace.


And this:




And this remarkable Inaugural Speech:

The U.S. sorely needs a calming, yet aware, grandpa figure right now who can help us resolve a lot of our bickerings and justified angers. Hopefully he can combine that focus with effective leadership and fulfill a lot of what he's promising us. He appears to genuinely have devoted all of his soul for the good of our nation and we the people, and I will hear him out despite my deep mistrust of established politicians.

Regardless of my political thoughts, I was soothed and inspired by President Biden's speech. I am hopeful of the great diversity he has created in his cabinet choices. I am even more hopeful that most of our general public will answer his call to end this uncivil war we've been roiling in the past few years. 

These words struck me with great force, because while a great many of his comments resonated and inspired, this is something I can directly control on an every day basis:

"We can see each other not as adversaries but as neighbors. We can treat each other with dignity and respect. We can join forces, stop the shouting and lower the temperature. . . . Let's begin to listen to one another again, hear one another, see one another. Show respect to one another. "

I have been so frustrated and disgusted with president 45's divisiveness that I have indulged every so often in sharing satire memes with a few friends who also appreciated that route of blowing off steam. But now that we've started a new chapter in our country's political history, it's time to step away from the rancor. Let it go. I'm sure that family is not going to just disappear, and I'll be tempted to indulge in the satire again, but I want to be part of the solution instead of continuing the negative vibes. 




And so, "Temperature" is my word of the year for 2021, and working on my temperature quilt on a regular basis throughout the year will help me remember to be my better self when others try to roil me up one way or the other. 

Temperature dots I worked on during the Inauguration



And Oh. My. Gosh. !!!!   I would have loved dearly to see those Inaugural fireworks in person!!! They were STUPENDOUS





6 comments:

  1. Weren't they!!!!! I thought they were better than ever so many of the July 4th versions I've seen through the years. Why a glorious way to end yesterday's events. I love this post - every single bit of it. And honestly, I am tempted by your approach to the temperature quilt (dots on squares). I've considered doing one for years. The time may just have arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty amazing that President Biden called attention to YOUR word of the year. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a workshop last night, given by Better Angels, on how depolarize language in yourself and your own bubble....lowering the temperature, like you say..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled to have a new president who doesn't say the first thing that pops into his mind. I like your temperature quilt, I like all the temperature quilts I've seen but have never started one. I'll be watching your progress over the year, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun with your temperature quilt, Lynette! I thought you were going in a different direction when I saw the lavender sky over the Capitol, the deep purple of Harris's coat, and the vibrant red of Lady Gaga's skirt -- I thought maybe you were going to do each block with a color that stood out from news photographs each day in 2021. So that Inauguration would have been a red dot on a lavender background, perhaps. Or those fuchsia fireworks... It would be hard to choose which colors to include!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand your distrust of career politicians, but after the last 4 years I have even more distrust of a non-politician holding the office of president. Ugh! I haven’t been able to totally relax for the last 4 years. I think it’s wonderful to have an adult back in the White House. I’ll never take real government for granted again.

    I’m toying with the idea of starting a temperature quilt....

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.