1. They're absolutely stunning!
2. The diamond sections have been waiting since 2010, and they're finally incorporated.
3. THEY'RE FLAT!! The edges aren't wavy, the centers aren't bowls or molehills! The diamond pieces aren't skewed
4. All 80 Y-seams are perfectly happy!
5. All 120 match-points are spot on!
I only had to unpick 13 times. Three of those were centers. I only broke two needles and killed one pin. I only drew blood twice.
I'm so happy to have these done up!
This project is on my 18 in 2018 list, and this amount of work certainly qualifies for cross-off. I'm going to wait, though, because there's still a ton of work left on this quilt, and I really really want to get it to flimsy status this year. If I let myself cross it off the list now, I probably will sideline it too much to accomplish that.
|A super rare appearance of pressing open for me.|
I don't like quilting options to be limited, and I don't like bearding down the road,
but sometimes open is critical for construction.
*Construction note: I put these together differently than the pattern says. Instead of first putting the diamond stars together, and then sewing the tiny joins between tops of NYBs and then setting a full ring into the full star, I constructed all the 3-part quarters of Diamond-Diamond-NYB, then joined them with the middling NYB to create halves, then joined the two halves across the diamonds, and then set in the final two NYBs. Lastly, I did the very easy task of zipping up the tiny top Y-seam edges of the NYBs at the diamond tips.
I was suddenly worried while putting together the second set of quarter-sections that there was some important reason you should put the star together, put the whole ring together, and then set them together. But it turned out not to be the case. I think constructing it in quarter sections was a lot easier than setting a full star and ring together would have been, and reduced the handling/stretching of bias edges.
Whoop! Whoop! at Sarah's
UFO Busting Party at Tish's