Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, April 21, 2013

BOMs Away - Apr 22 - Crazy Cat Says "Hello Moon!" and a Tip for Fusing


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEib6FEw-InTZOIaLrsh7raXFspj2e1T12kCO8l-1fE90gdy6n4l1MW2uvunLaRnasRzTevZmJGQUxFSneppP1tAy6D3038PFUnZoe3kZkA6pv4O9beBUFKk-l_8VIx2zK7QOjm3Pv7Ki7I/s1600/BOM+Button.jpg

Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!

We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of this post.


Urgh!  I was going to assemble my full Beachwalk top for this week's BOM, but I can't find the sand castle anywhere! Casualty of the move - looked everywhere I could think of, but nothing yet. . . This is the block - It's something like 16" x 33". Please let me know if you see it around!!  ;D




So I moved down the BOM list and hit the stash. Got this fun Crazy Cat cut out and fused, ready for the stitching. The pattern's from the free BOM by Helena Brorhed. It's a fun block made per request with a purple background - something of a challenge!



And I started on "Hello, Moon!" a month earlier than planned. It's a free BOM by April Mae at Making Ends Meet:


Too bad none of the sparkles show up here on the couple of gray fabrics that have them.

Hey, do you know about this trick when you're fusing things? Look below and you can see how I kill two rats with one stone by trimming out the inside of larger shapes to 1/4" width of fusing inside the cutting line before I stick the stuff to the backside of the fabrics. 1) This saves a ton of fusible material, as you can trace smaller objects inside the larger objects - that star's fusing web shape was inside the moon's, for example. 2) It also takes away that nasty stiffness you get on fused blocks! Especially when you're layering things, like on the cat's stomach above. This works two-fold: A) the fusible layer is gone from all but the "seam allowance" area; B) After it's fused on, you can snip out the background fabric from behind - which also allows light-on-dark layers to look better!



Technically, I'm not supposed to be starting any new BOMs at all, as I still have 3 or 4 or 5 in deep storage, waiting to be pulled onto the active BOM list. But this one will let me learn and practice a particular style of stitching that will let me move forward on my McKenna Ryan BOMs. Between watching the amazing stitching works of Kit Lang and Monika Kinner-Whalen, and doing these Moon blocks, I ought to break past my fears of destroying all my hard trace-cut-and-fuse work on Beachwalk, Sea Breeze, and Once Upon a Star. Won't it be nice to develop those so they can be quilted!  

Oh!!  And I got 6 more Dear Jane blocks caught up this week:



~*~*~*~*~ 

 What have you guys done on BOMs or interval projects lately? Weeklies are welcome along with regular projects that you’ve broken into monthly units, and –of course- true BOMs.   Share your eye candy and show off your progress since the last time you linked up! There are some wonderful monthly and weekly projects going on out there.  


12 comments:

  1. Everything looks great. That cat with the fish is adorable! Your Jane blocks are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linking up my two monthly blocks today via Flickr - thanks for the weekly link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the Moonies are invading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a cat block too!!! Love your Janes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are enjoying working on a few different projects. You've made adjustments to your blog recently too. I love being able to see the true colours of your new large quilt. Your cats are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you got lots done! Thanks for tbe fusible tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't help you with the search for the missing block, hope you come across it soon!

    Thanks for the tip too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That beachwalk top is fabulous and I love the moon and kitty one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely wonderful blocks. Maybe a wave got your sandcastle???....grin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to hear from you, Lynette! I have so enjoyed following your beach-themed blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A group of us at church used that fusible method about ten years ago for three large wall quilts we made to hang in the sanctuary. We called the method "donuting," but I bet there's a better technical term than that! Sorry you lost your castle. That must be frustrating. Good progress on your other pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have really been busy. that cat block is so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.